The municipality of Calvia has passed from having 2.690 inhabitants in 1960 to having a population of 54.476 in 2017. This demographic explotion that Calvia has registered has never happened before in the Balearic Islands and can only be explained by the phenomenon of tourism and the migratory processes derived from it.
This situation has produced a substancial change in the occupation of its inhabitants, the majority of whom have passed from working in agriculture to the tourist sector. Only in very special cases is livestock and agriculture the first source of income for the family. The only activity of the secondary sector that is notable is the construction business, but this is also focused on the tourist and residential sector.
Another significant change that has taken place in the geographical distribution of population. The coast, which had been practically uninhabited until the arrival of tourism, has turned into an almost uninterrupted urban area. This has meant a change in the pace of life of the municipality that had until then lived in the interior, in the agricultural areas of Calvia Village and Es Capdellà.
The majority of the new inhabitants have come from the Spanish mainland but there is also a great contingency of Europeans, above all the British and the Germans. The arrival of the new residents from the mainland occurred in order to attend to the needs of the tourist sector and of construction. Nevertheless the increase of Europeans who have set up their residence in Calvia responds to another motivation that comes about through the excellent climate and the tranquility that our municipality offers.
At a very short distance from Portals Nous you can find Bendinat, that according to legend owes its name to King James I, who in the first days of the conquest of Majorca, after have a simple dinner of bread with garlic, declared: "be hem dinat", in English "We've eaten well", however the origin of area name has an Islamic root.
One of the most significant buildings in the area is the Bendinat castle, which was built by the Marqués de la Romana in the 19th century. Its style is neogothic with european reminiscences and is situated between the old road and the poniente motorway.
The population in this area is of 464 people.
Calvià Vila is the administrative centre of the municipality. It is located 14km. away from Palma, the capital of the island. It is located in the foothills of the Sierra de Tramuntana.
Geographically the town of Calvià is located in the area with some hills or slight elevations, surrounded by more or less flat lands intended for the cultivation of olive and almond. The earliest news of this municipal term refer to the existence of the church, which is mentioned in 1248 in the papal bull of Innocent III in which the parishes of Mallorca are recognized under his protection.
The town is configurated in a nucleus surrounded by houses with orchards and fields. The village does not have large buildings, but the church of San Juan Bautista stands out, and some houses such as es Pontet, Can Verger, and Ca's Metge vell.
The church of San Juan Bautista is original of 1248, but of that original building, hardly any original remains are conserved as it has been replaced in different times with more modern constructions. The last great rebuilding dates from 1867. It is a historic façade temple, which combines Neoromanic elements with a Neogothic large window and two slight twin towers where the bell tower is found.
The Town Hall building, located right at the entrance of the village, was inaugurated in 1989 and was designed by the architects Rafael Balaguer and Jaime Vidal, who combined popular and traditional Majorcan architecture elements, as the tile, marès and choppy stone, the funcionality and the design of a vanguardist construction.
Each Monday a market is celebrated, where typical products can be purchased. The festivities of this area are Sant Jaume, from the 20 to the 25 of July. Calvià has a census population of 2.694 inhabitants.
Cas Català is the nucleous of the municipality of Calvià which marks the border with Palma. Its name dates back to the end of the XIX century, when a Catalan established his home there. It is a residential housing with chalets and flats spread on the hillside of a woodland. It has two accesses to the sea and a little beach surrounded by terraces. The festivities of this area, coinciding with the festivities in Illetas, are from the 15 to the 17 September.Its population census, together with Illetas, is of 3.380 inhabitants.
Costa de la Calma
Costa de la Calma is a residential area which stretches between Santa Ponça and Peguera. The beach of Cala Blanca is found in its coastline, characterized by being rocky and having diverse entrances in the sea, apart from small stone coves.
From the 4 to the 15 August, the festivities are celebrated, coinciding with the festivities in El Toro.
Its population census is of 1.644 inhabitants.
It is a recent housing which occupies the grounds of Ses Penyes Rotges. Part of its coast is formed by cliffs. In one of the tips is an outgoing originated, in front of which, and in straight line, appear a few small islands, the last one being the island of El Toro, after which the area is given name. Moreover, it also has a main cove, urbanized in its surroundings, and a sporting dock called Port Adriano, which crosses another cove known as Recó de Sa Fragata.
From the 4 to the 15 of August are the festivities celebrated, coinciding with the festivities of Costa de la Calma. It has a census population of 2.461 inhabitants.
Es Capdellà is a small population in the interior located 3 km. away from Calvià Vila. It´s a urban nucleous immersed in a silent spot, under the silhouette of Monte Galatzó (1026m.), where time seems to be alien to the unbridled rhythm of life.
It´s formed by picturesque houses and a recent type of building church. In its outskirts are found some important "possessions" (estates), and large rural estates as Son Vic Nou, Vell, Galatzó and Ses Algorfes among others. The first news of this place date back to the XVII century, which makes it the second oldest village in the municipality of Calvià. Its origin has to be found among the old large estates' workers houses. From this village you can go to Andratx, Peguera or Galilea, and you can reach Calvià in a pleasant walk, covering natural landscapes almost not modificated by the construction´s actions. The Virgen del Carmen is celebrated from the 13 to the 17 of July. Its population is of 1.065 inhabitants.
It´s a residential area situated in the Son Pillo estate. It was urbanized at the end of the 70´s. The housings were built by the cooperative Pablo Iglesias and it was the first iniciative of the social housing in the municipality.
It has an infant and secondary teaching centre, and also a sports pavillion.
By it we find the Son Bugadelles industrial estate, where the main non-tourist companies of the municipality are. Between the urbanization of Galatzó and Santa Ponça one of the most characteristic heritage elements of the municipality is located, the Windmill of Santa Ponça.
From the 20 to the 25 of August are the festivities of Galatzó celebrated. Its population census is of 1.630 inhabitants.
Right near to Cas Català is found Illetes, which name, in Mallorquin, comes from three small islands, Sa Caleta, Sa Torre and S´Estenedor or des Pas, which are in front of the coast.
It´s an area where a great number of hotels, apartments and residencies,
In the area of Club Es Fortí there is a vigilance tower of the year 1580. Near this area there is also a military fort, built at the end of the 19th century and forming part of the global defense system of Palma bay along with the fortifications of San Carlos and Portixol in Palma, Torre d'en Pau at es Coll de'n Rabassa and Cap Blanc and Cap Enderrocat in Llucmajor.
Errol Flynn, Tyrone Power, Rita Haywort or heads of state such as Richard Nixon and King Al Saud of Saudi Arabia have stayed in this area.
The festivities in this area are from the 15 to the 17 of September.
Its population census, together with Cas Català is: 3.380 inhabitants.
Magaluf is practically united to Palmanova. Its coast stretches between Punta de Sa Porrassa and Cala Vinyes. It is the most international and well-known from Calvià´s coastline. In its interior are found las Salinas del Salobrar, almost completely desiccated.
The name of Magaluf appeared documented for the first time as Magaluf ben Jusef in 1234, and according to some historians, hails from a Jewish name.
Magaluf has consolidated itself as one of the most important touristic-leisure centres as its offer is rather varied.
The festivities are celebrated from the 10 to the 15 of August and from the 31 of August to the 3 of September.
Its population census is of 4.645 inhabitants.
Located between Son Caliu and Torrenova, it was the first urbanization that was built in Calvià and one of the pioneer of Majorca, given that it started to be contemplated in 1934.
Palmanova has three sand beaches with their own characteristics, Es Carregador, near the maritime club, Palmanova beach, and Son Maties.
The beach promenades of Palmanova and Es Carregador have green wide footpaths and boulevards. In addition to this, new street furniture has been installed.
It has a good hotel infrastructure with a series of complementary services which allow them to offer anything that the most exacting tourist can demand during the holiday.
In this area´s way out, in the direction of Andratx, is located the cross del Pi dels Montcades, which commemmorates the place where the Montcada brothers, collaborators of the king Jaume I during the island´s conquest, were given funerary distinctions.
Another testimony of the historical past of the municipality is Torre Nova, with a circular floor and a conic layaout that was built in 1595.
The festivities are from the 5 to the 9 of August.
Its population census is of 7.487 inhabitants.
The palce name of Peguera comes from "pega", fish, resin extracted from the pines that were in the area. At the beginning of the XX century, it emerged as a urban nucleous, when two of the owner families parcelled it for the first time. The first hotels were established in 1928, Platges de Peguera and El Malgrat in 1930. In 1958 and thanks to the escalation of tourism, the ultimate urbanization of the area was promoted.
Peguera is located in the coast of Calvià, between Costa de la Calma and Camp de Mar and there are three beaches : La Romana, Torà and Palmira. It can be considered as a combinated enclave, half residential and half touristic.
In its outskirts Cala Fornells is located, a quiet and beautiful spot with buildings which follow the style of the Balearic villages. From the 1 to the 3 of September Peguera celebrates its festivities. Its population census is of 4.328 inhabitants.
Portals Nous is a residential area, between by Bendinat and the motorway. It is characterized for being a quiet area with a wide surfaced cove, of white sand and clean waters, in front of which emerges the island of Sales.
In the high part the Oratorio is located, with the image of La Mare de Déu de Portals. Its port is the centre of tourism and nocturnal entertainment for the elite, being the meeting point for the royalty, the jet set, artists and financiers.
Its festivities are from the 12 to the 15 of August.
Its population census is of 2.437 inhabitants.
Costa d'en Blanes
In its outskirts Costa den Blanes is found, which can be divided in two parts, one of them residential, with houses built in Na Burguesa and the other one near the coast, where an atractions centre of marine and exotic animals stands out, Marineland.
It has a population of 2.098 inhabitants.
Santa Ponça is historical place for Calvià and for Mallorca since in its beaches landed the troops of King Jaume during the conquest of the Islamic Mallorca in 1229, ephemeris that is remembered by the Disembarkment Cross and the Holy Stone chappel erected on the occasion of the 700th anniversary in 1929. At the areas's main entrance, the old estate houses of Santa Ponça are located. It is an area also known for its archaeological remains, among which the archaeological park of Puig de sa Morisca stands out, which includes some of the most important sites in Mallorca such as the Roman villa of sa Mesquida, the Turo de Ses Abelles or the Talayotic settlement of Puig De sa Morisca.
In 1925, the first attempts of urbanization took place, but the first project dates back to 1933, following a model of city garden. However, the urbanization dates back to 1955 and also includes two beaches, a maritime boardwalk, a sporting dock, golf fields and other sporting installations. The commemoration of the disembarkment of king Jaume I are celebrated from the 6 to the 12 of September.
It has a population census of 11.999 inhabitants.
This area is situated between Sa Porrasa and El Toro, near the Puig de Saragossa and the wooded area of Cala Figuera. It was an old rustic property of Calvià, that was urbanized in the second half of the 20th century. In this area, there are archaeological sites such as the túmulo de Son Ferrer, the caves of Can Vairet and the Bronze Age town of Son Ferrer.